- Requests for Public Information
Submitting a Public Information Request
The City of Buda strives to provide the public with superior service in all areas of operation. Under most circumstances, the public can contact a city department directly and ask questions about routine matters. Usually, these requests can be dealt with over the phone. However, occasionally the public may wish to receive additional information or documentation related to City business. Under the Texas Public Information Act (TPIA), formerly the Texas Open Records Act, the public is entitled to view or receive copies of most of the documents and data created and compiled by government entities, including municipalities. In order to exercise this right, a Request for Public Information must be submitted.
In order to ensure that you receive the requested information in as little time as possible, please remember that all requests must meet certain guidelines, including:
- Requests must be submitted in writing. Verbal requests will not be accepted.
- Requests must seek documents or data that are in existence at the time of the request. The TPIA does not require the City to analyze information, create new documents, conduct research, or answer questions.
- Certain sensitive information is exempt from release to the general public and the City is required to withhold it under the TPIA. This includes social security numbers, certain financial information, documents and information relating to an ongoing criminal investigation, certain information relating to minors, and information subject to the attorney client privilege. In most cases, the City is obligated by law to request a determination from the Office of the Attorney General of Texas whether information is subject to an applicable exception to the Act before withholding the requested information. If the City must request a determination, you will receive a copy of that request. You will also receive a copy of the Attorney General’s response directly from the Office of the Attorney General of Texas.
- The City is entitled under the TPIA to recover the costs associated with fulfilling a request. The specific schedule of charges is available in the forms and information section below. Generally, requests totaling less than $40.00 in recoverable expenses will be completed and the requestor will be billed for the outstanding balance. Requests that are estimated to exceed $40.00 in recoverable expenses will be suspended and the requestor will be notified to either accept the charges or amend the request. Requests that are estimated to exceed $100.00 in recoverable charges will be suspended and the requestor will be informed that they must either pay the estimated charges in full prior to the request being fulfilled or amend the request.
For requests submitted by mail or in person, we have created this Public Information Request form for your convenience.
Charges for Public InformationCost of copies that may be assessed when fulfilling a Public Information Request.
Texas Public Information Act
The actual text of the Public Information Act statute.