- Development Services
Development Services: Planning, Permitting, Code Enforcement and Historic Preservation
The Development Services Department helps guide growth and development within the city and its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ).
It actively works with a number of other agencies, including Hays County, a wide variety of utility companies, Hays County Emergency Services Districts #2 and #8 (Buda Fire and EMS), Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO), Capital Area Council of Governments (CAPCOG), a variety of state agencies, and the Buda Economic Development Corporation to coordinate efforts and ensure good practices and compliance with the requirements of each.
The City of Buda is excited to introduce the updated Development Guide. We are dedicated to assist applicants in planning and navigating the development review and permitting process.
The department consists of four divisions:
- The Division of Planning & Zoning encompasses a broad spectrum of policies, programs, and resources that affect the public. The goal of these programs is to further the welfare of people and their communities by creating convenient, equitable, healthful, efficient, and attractive environments for present and future generations. It includes the traditional planning functions of subdivision platting, land use and zoning, land development, long and short range planning, annexation, sign regulation, and historic preservation.The Comprehensive Plan, various other long- and short-range plans, and the Unified Development Code serve as major guiding documents for this office.
- The Division of Code Enforcement addresses concerns related to zoning violations, nuisances, property maintenance, water conservation, and other related issues.
- The Division of Building Codes and Permitting assists in ensuring the safe construction of buildings in compliance with the adopted building codes and ordinances.
Staff from the department provides expert assistance to several boards and commissions, including the City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment and Appeals, and the Construction Board of Appeals.
In an effort to meet the needs of the citizens, the Development Services Department has four primary missions:
- To properly manage the growth and development of the community by carrying out adopted policies and providing professional expertise in the area of city planning and development
- To continue our commitment to providing high quality customer service to the various groups we serve, including the general public, builders, developers, land owners, neighborhood groups, city commissions, and outside agencies
- To maintain fair and consistent application of rules and regulations, encourage broad participation in land use decisions and access to land use data, and provide forward thinking, innovative, and solution-oriented advice on community planning, building, and resource management issues
- To enhance the tax base and livability of the community by encouraging high quality growth and development