State & Local Business Licenses & Permits

The State of Texas does not require a general "business" license. However, there are a number of regulatory agencies that have licensing and permitting requirements based on the type of service, or products associated with your business.

To ensure that all permitting requirements are met, you should contact the local county and/or city government in which you plan to conduct business to determine if there are any additional requirements.

Please visit the's Occupational Licenses and Permits and select the applicable occupation.

Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
Should the business discharge pollutants, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality requires various air, water and waste permit authorizations.

Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR)
To determine state occupational licensing and permitting requirements, please visit the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) for more information.

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission
Information about licenses and fees pertaining to the sale, transportation or storage of alcoholic beverages can be obtained from the Liquor Control Board.

Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission - San Marcos Outpost
111 East San Antonio Street, Suite 100
San Marcos, TX 78666

The City of Buda has local ordinances regulating alcohol sales and service in addition to those from TABC. Contact the Planning & Engineering Department for rules and regulations relating to alcohol sales and service in the City of Buda. A separate business permit is also required through the City Secretary's Office.

Hays County Development Services and Consumer Health
Hays County administers some regulations and permits that may affect your business, particularly if your business involves handling, processing, packaging or warehousing of foods.

Hays County Development Services & Consumer Health
2171 Yarrington Road
San Marcos, TX 78666