Business Tax Responsibilities

A prospective small business owner should also determine what federal, state and local tax obligations may exist. The following sections briefly discuss each of these areas. It is strongly recommended that a professional tax advisor, accountant, and/or attorney be consulted before starting a business.


Information regarding federal income taxes, tax identification numbers, business tax credits and employment tax regulations may be obtained by contacting the following agencies:

Income Taxes, Tax Identification Numbers and Business Tax Credits
Internal Revenue Service
825 East Rundberg Lane, Suite H-4
Austin, Texas 78753
800-829-1040 or 800-829-4059 (TDD)

Business Tax Kit and other publications: 800-829-3676 or 800-829-4059 (TDD)

Employment Taxes
Social Security Administration


The Texas Workforce Commission collects all unemployment taxes for workers employed in Texas. For information regarding these taxes, to obtain a state employer's identification number, and for information on tax credits, contact:

Texas Workforce Commission
Tax Department
101 East 15th Street
Austin, Texas 78778

New Employer Accounts/Status of Accounts: 512-463-2731 or 800-832-9394

Quarterly Reports: 512-463-9182

Rates: 512-463-2758

Unemployment Insurance Customer Service: 512-463-2542


If the business owns tangible personal property that is used to produce income, the property must be reported on a rendition form to the Hays Central Appraisal District, after January 1 and no later than March 31, each year. Business owners must report all inventories, equipment, and machinery. For additional information, contact the Hays Central Appraisal District.

Hays Central Appraisal District
Lex Word Building
21001 North IH 35
Kyle, TX 78640


Tax Reference Table

The following information pertains to state and federal taxes. The IRS Business Site assists businesses structured as Corporations, International Business, Partnerships and Small Businesses Self-Employed. The site has vital links to other Texas government entities. The IRS Employer ID Numbers (EINs) sites assist in obtaining an EIN. The site provides information on changing Ownership and information on EIN for Health Transactions. Businesses may need a National Standard Employer Identifier (NSE) for electronic health transactions. Further assistance on Texas tax can be viewed on the Texas State Comptroller website which includes information on electronic filing and online assistance through the STAR system.