- Municipal Court
- Driving Safety Course
Driving Safety Course
Driving Safety Information (Defensive Driving)
You are eligible to take a Driving Safety class to keep a ticket off of your record if:
- You have a valid Texas driver's license (driver's with commercial license are ineligible)
- You have current proof of Texas liability insurance
- You have not taken a defensive driving class within the last twelve (12) months immediately preceding the date of the alleged offense
- You are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation
- You request a driving safety course on or before your appearance date
The following offenses do not qualify for Driving Safety:
- Speeding 25 miles per hour (or more) over the posted limit
- Passing a stopped school bus
- Moving violation within a posted construction zone while workers are present
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Fleeing police
- Penal Code or City Ordinance offenses
To request Driving Safety Class online click here.
In order to request Driving Safety Class by mail, you must:
- Submit a valid Texas Driver's License
- Provide proof of Texas liability insurance in your name (valid on the day of request)
- Submit a check or money order, made payable to the City of Buda, in the amount of the appropriate court fees:
$129.00 Court Cost Fee if offense occurred BEFORE January 1st, 2020 ; $144 Court Cost Fee if offense occurred ON or AFTER January 1st, 2020 ; $154.00 for offenses in school zone if offense occurred BEFORE January 1st, 2020 ; $169.00 for offenses in school zone if offense occurred ON or AFTER January 1st, 2020;
- Submit a written request to take a driving safety course (you may utilize the back of your ticket for this purpose or complete a Driving Safety form)
- Enter a plea of guilty or no contest (you may utilize the back of your ticket for this purpose or complete a Driving Safety form)
Your request must be received by your scheduled appearance date. Once you are approved by the Municipal Court, you will receive a confirmation letter along with further instructions for completing your requirements.
Your instructions will include the following:
- It is your responsibility to locate, pay for and attend a Driving Safety Course
- You have a 90 day period (from the date of judgment) to complete a driving safety course
- You must obtain your driving record onlinee. Your Driving Record must be returned to the Court along with your Course Completion Certificate.
Effective 01-01-2004 CCP ART. 45.0511
If you request the defensive driving class and are eligible to take it for ticket dismissal, It is mandatory that:
- All paperwork must be in the office within 90 days. This does include the completed drivers safety certificate.
- Please make sure you complete your class at least 3 weeks prior to your due date so you will have the certificate of completion to this office on time.
By law, we cannot for any reason grant an extension to get the certificate to us, even if the class was completed by the due date.